Tuesday, November 01, 2005

"Shakes the Clown"

So how do you research a novel set at a clown convention? Well, I don't know either.

As part of my research I purchased and watched "Shakes the Clown" on DVD. Well, I purchased it last week and watched it today.

The movie was much like I remembered it, silly, funny and crass (gross even.) When I first saw it I had a problem with the cocaine snorting clowns but it didn't bother me as much this time. Maybe because I am no longer clowning and it has been a few years.

I was hoping it would inspire me for my convention-themed book. But it didn't really. Most of the clowns I know are cheerful, pun-ridden pranksters and not drunk, pissed-off bozos. Now the drunk clowns work for the movie, just not for me and my story.

But all clowns do beat up mimes. That is pretty universal.*

(*not really.*)

(*not really.)

No comments: